Local Government Week is being proclaimed in Saskatchewan for Nov. 8-14, 2021.
The call to recognize Local Government Week with an official proclamation from the province emerged through discussions between the partner organizations as an excellent opportunity to increase awareness and engagement in the systems of local democracy.
School boards are elected to govern K-12 education in their school divisions and are essential members of local government. They ensure that the wishes of the community are reflected in the schools and make decisions that shape the education of Saskatchewan children.
The partner organizations representing local governments include:
- Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations (FSIN)
- Métis Nation – Saskatchewan (MN-S)
- Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities (SARM)
- Saskatchewan School Boards Association (SSBA)
- Saskatchewan Urban Municipalities Association (SUMA)
The Local Government Week partners have issued media releases:
- Local Government Week Upcoming in Saskatchewan (2020)
- Local Government Week Being Recognized in Saskatchewan (2019)
- Local Government Week Proclaimed in Saskatchewan (2018)
The SSBA made the following resource package available for Local Government Week: