SSBA Legal Services provides for member boards a team of lawyers uniquely experienced to provide legal advice in areas specific to the education sector.
Legal Services provides advice and support to boards of education on a variety of issues, including, but not limited to:
- Student issues including suspensions, parent issues, accommodation and custody issues affecting the school
- Teacher and other staff employment contracts including drafting, interpretation, investigations, discipline, termination, etc.
- Accommodation of employees and other human rights issues
- Matters arising under The Education Act, 1995 and its regulations
- Privacy and access
- Board of education matters including conflict of interest, SCC, school closures etc.
- Any other legal matter where there is a unique educational component
Legal workshops and seminars are also provided to school board members and senior administrators to support school divisions in their work.
For more information or to inquire about booking a workshop or seminar, please contact:
Director (Ext. 141)
Solicitor (Ext. 123)
Solicitor (Ext. 121)
Administrative Paralegal (Ext. 120)
Saskatchewan Schools Privacy Website
The Records Retention and Disposal Guide for Saskatchewan School Divisions, dated September 2019, was approved by the Ministry of Education. Section 369 of The Education Act, 1995 requires boards of education to preserve public documents of the school division until their disposal is authorized by a resolution of the board and approved by the Minister of Education. This guide will minimize the chances of valuable documents being inadvertently destroyed, enable boards of education to reduce the cost of storage and assist boards of education in complying with legislation.